[Ads-l] Fw: More Precise Information on Antedating of "Kilroy"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Fri Mar 26 09:30:05 UTC 2021

I see that I posted about the "Kilroy" antedating in 2016.  The Texacts newspaper of Sheppard Field Army Air Forces base (near Wichita Falls, Texas) is on NewspaperArchive.  See below.

Fred Shapiro

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Friday, April 1, 2016 5:29 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: More Precise Information on Antedating of "Kilroy"

Here's more precise antedating information:

Kilroy (OED 1945 [20 Oct.])

1945 Sheppard Field Texacts (newspaper of Sheppard Field Army base, Texas) 21 Apr. 9/4 (NewspaperArchive)  Who is Kilroy?  What a one man campaign!  He seems destined to go down in history along with Foo and Novschmozkapop as a family by word.

1945 Sheppard Field Texacts (newspaper of Sheppard Field Army base, Texas) 14 July 3/1 (NewspaperArchive)  If we knew the true identity of KILROY we would come right out and say so.  You have seen his name written in a variety of places -- mostly on walls.  He always states, with evident pride, that KILROY did this or that, or that "KILROY was here."

Fred Shapiro

The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=sRkhHMQo6W5Ird1lkQFqb23bCfSHAR2XjUSUG53db5M&m=Ga32YY9kkQjNeuLIjYy9YYEVSCt4Tr0kRDoEYNWVDLs&s=0dI0sB80o_IbmovKzrr6iWo3mjwKWsTWkQKurnksm1M&e=