[Ads-l] "Who was Kilroy?" June 26, 1945 (in-print antedating?)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 26 15:40:02 UTC 2021

Not sure why someone would produce fake Kilroy buttons for War Bonds and
subtly backdating them to 1943.  To fool us perhaps? Of course, nothing is
impossible.

I don't see why the restorers would create a fake "Kilroy IS here" name for
the C-47. Maybe the Museum possesses a 1944 photo.

As for the frequency of KIlroy's appearance during the war, I will add that
I cannot recall many (or perhaps any) refs. to it in published wartime
letters or memoirs.

It would probably take only two sightings in distant places to convince a
person that Kilroy signs were "everywhere" in WW2.

Just as a data point: I checked with my wife about Gene Ahern's "Nov shmoz
ka pop," and - without prompting from me - she immediately associated it
with a cartoon of "a little man with a big nose looking over a fence."  I
associate the phrase only with the "little hitch-hiker" in Ahern's
"Squirrel Cage" strip.

JL