[Ads-l] antedating of bootleg

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Sat Mar 27 08:26:47 UTC 2021

Good catch. Thanks. I double-checked the date, even saw the paper's name
in a title box on p 2, but thought it was a section title.

Now I'm wondering if "real New England 'bootleg'" refers to smuggling or
a flavoring, coloring, or cooking element, or is just general
denigration of the quality. It's early for any and all of those, but
given the satirical context, could be any.

On 3/26/21 9:53 PM, Peter Reitan wrote:
> The 1844 reference appears to be dated properly, but is misidentified by the newspapers.com database.
>
> The title page says, The Subterranean and Working Man's Advocate, an organ of the National Reform Organization, a temperance newspaper published in New York City.

James Eric Lawson