[Ads-l] Flash Press

Sun Mar 28 02:57:46 UTC 2021

JL -- You may have read several novels by George Thompson, the
pornographer, but have you read The Amorous Intrigues and Adventures of
Aaron Burr, published ca. 1861?
I noticed it while reading a bibliography of American fiction.  The
compiler, Lyle Wright, let his bibliographical reserve slip for a moment
and described it as a "scabrous" work.  I took this as a recommendation.
The book was at that time available in a microfilm set called "Wright's
American Fiction"; it's now also in the digitized form of that collection,
called American Fiction.
I thought that I had taken some notes from the book, but it seems I found
nothing of interest in it.  It was entirely devoid of slang, scabrous or
otherwise, and had no interesting glimpses of old New York City.  His
amorous adventures were many, but all of the same formula: Vidi, Vinci,
Veni, or, I saw, I conquered, I came.  The lasses involved offered little
resistance to his charm.  There was one episode that I thought hinted that
one of them went down on him.  However that may be, there's danged little
in it to arouse modern jaded sensibilities, but it may have served to get
the lads of 160 years ago somewhat flustered.  I hope so.

GAT

http://www.parliament.uk/worksofart/artwork/james-gillray/an-excrescence---a-fungus-alias-a-toadstool-upon-a-dunghill/3851