[Ads-l] antedating (?) of milli-helen

Sat May 1 23:37:45 UTC 2021

A kind librarian at the Herman B. Wells Library of Indiana University,
Bloomington accessed the "Punch" citation and sent me the details. The
year of 1954 is correct.

[ref] 1954 June 23, Punch or The London Charivari,  Volume 226, Issue
Number 5936, Page Title: Punch: Charivaria, Quote Page 737, Column 3,
Published at the Office of Punch, London, England. (Gale Cengage
“Punch” Historical Archive) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Scientists and aesthetes alike have
heard with interest that the “unit of
absolute beauty” has been invented
by a professor of natural philos-
ophy, who calls it a Helen and
explains that it is divisible into milli-
helens. It is hoped that the millihelen
may in time be interpreted in terms of
power, when it should prove handy for
launching a single ship.