[Ads-l] "hooker" meaning "prostitute"

Mon May 3 19:34:27 UTC 2021

The article "The Unhappy Hookers; Origin of Hooker 'Prostitute'" by J.
Peter Maher that was linked by Gerald Cohen includes a discussion of
the 1845 student letter on page 28 and 29. Maher concluded that the
word "hooker" within the student letter did not mean prostitute.

https://scholarsmine.mst.edu/artlan_phil_facwork/171/

It is a complex topic, and I admit that I have only quickly scanned
Maher's overall article because it is not in my primary area of
research. Nevertheless, his analysis of the 1845 letter looked
plausible to me.

Garson