[Ads-l] scariant - scary variant of the virus that causes Covid-19

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 13 19:28:49 UTC 2021

More specifically, "scariant" has been used lately to draw attention to how
Covid variants are *made to seem scary* by sensationalistic media reports.

When I first encountered "scariant" on Twitter back in February, I
misinterpreted it as a blend of "SARS-CoV-2 variant" before commenters set
me straight.

https://twitter.com/bgzimmer/status/1365561446495645697