[Ads-l] "short-bus people"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Thu May 20 16:56:11 UTC 2021

Here are some examples where “short bus” is used in a literal fashion to refer to the bus, not the special needs students riding it.  These are from ProQuest’s U.S. Newsstream database.

The Morning Call (Allentown, Pa.) (Jan. 28, 1987):  “The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority’s new, shorter buses, above, are being put into service.  The short bus, which carries 31 passengers, is parked next to one of LANTA’s regular 45-passenger buses.  At left, LANTA board members check out the interior.  The new buses will be used on routes with lower ridership and where narrow streets cause maneuvering problems for the longer buses.”

San Francisco Chronicle (July 7, 1990):  [Title:] “Short Bus for Short Runs Debuts at Muni Party.”

The Sun (Baltimore) (Feb. 4, 1993):  “The short bus this morning made me wince.  I would send a long one just so you would feel better, not like only a half-student part person.”  The title is “Disabled, Handicapped, Slow for Deb who hated waiting at the stop.”

John Baker

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> On Behalf Of ADSGarson O'Toole
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2021 12:42 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "short-bus people"

External Email - Think Before You Click

The Usenet database has many instances of "short bus" as a technical
term for computer hardware. I am too lazy to manually screen them out,
so this citation can probably be improved.
Below is an August 1991 citation for "rides to school on a short bus".

Usenet group: rec.humor
Article title: List: Phrases that mean CRAZY
Sender: David Build Caudle
Time-stamp: Aug 29, 1991, 6:11:44 PM
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.humor/c/cwD66KcVuCs/m/ptgUtRE2dUoJ<https://groups.google.com/g/rec.humor/c/cwD66KcVuCs/m/ptgUtRE2dUoJ>

[Begin excerpt]
Thanks to everyone who sent in their phrases. A few people noted
that someone had done this several months ago; even so, the
which was sent to me by Barry Gunn and appears at the end of my
accumulated list. I decided to ignore this list and pretend that my
list was the first, so a few phrases in my list are duplicates in the
original list.

Seems like the most reported phrase was "a few sandwiches short of
a picnic", which was first sent to me by Deveron (name?).

Anyways, here it is...
From: David Caudle <SAS... at vm.sas.com<http://SAS...@vm.sas.com>>
toys in the attic
not playing with a full deck