[Ads-l] "Read the room"

Fri May 21 22:43:41 UTC 2021

Thanks for your response, Stephen.
Here is a 1949 citation for "reading the crowd" which I conjecture is
related to "reading the room". The phrase is enclosed within quotation
marks signaling that the writer felt some readers would be unfamiliar
with the expression:

Date: July 26, 1949
Newspaper: Clinton Daily Journal and Public
Location: Clinton, Illinois
Serialized Story: Wonderful Neighbor by Homer Croy
Chapter XX
Quote Page 4, Column 6 and 7

[Begin excerpt]
The "Colonel," as we called the auctioneer, was half psychologist,
half comedian; he stood there, a big gray hat on his head, his thumbs
in his vestholes, his cane dangling on his arm, "reading the crowd." A
haltered colt was led up. "All you men who have to go to the house to
consult your wife before you can bid, leave now! And all you men who
don't know a good chattel when you see it, step back and make way for
smart men.
[End excerpt]

A synecdoche mechanism may have generated  "reading the room" from
"reading the crowd in a room".
 Here is the tentative two-step evolution:

Generalization: "reading a person" to "reading a crowd"
Synecdoche: "reading a crowd in a room" to "reading a room"

Garson