[Ads-l] "The whole schmeer/schmear" [Antedating, 1901, with a hint at 1900]

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 25 20:26:47 UTC 2021

Well, there are a lot of Germans in Wisconsin.

Just as some things that originate somewhere else did not become widely
known or popular until they were published by New York literati and by
outlets with a national reach, some things that are German may not have
become well known or popularized until placed into pop-culture by the
entertainment industries on the coasts, where they became associated
with Yiddish more than German.

After a quick look, "die ganze Schmier" (the whole schmier) appears in a
German-American newspaper published in Missouri as early as 1894.  It is
in a humorous joke about splitting the tab in a bar.  The two characters
speak to each other in a German/English dialect, spelled phonetically in
dialect (Swabian, perhaps?).  The opening line uses the English word,
well, and names the person being addressed as Charlie ("Well,
Tschallie").

One of the characters is going to pay for whole tab.  "Dunnerwetter,
jetz hab' ich die ganze Schmier am Bei'. Wos hea ich zu zahle,
Barkeeper?"

[Donnerwetter, now I've got the whole schmier. Whada I gotta pay
Barkeeper?]

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/78312954/hermanner-volksblatt/

Hermanner-Volksblatt, Hermann, Missouri, August 24, 1894, page 2.