[Ads-l] Optimists invent airplanes; pessimists invent parachutes

Sat May 29 00:28:56 UTC 2021

Fantastic citation, Pete. Thanks for searching.

The Google Books database contains many issues of Rotarian in full
view, so I was surprised that GB was only showing a snippet.

I have now determined that the full view issues of Rotarian are not
completely searchable. The search index for the full view Rotarian
issues must be corrupted. Thus, I manually looked through the issues,
and finally found the target text in the May 1939 issue on page 53.
Here is a link to the beginning of the issue. (Search within the issue
does not work. You have to manually go to page 53.)

https://books.google.com/books?id=e0EEAAAAMBAJ&

The QI article will be updated, and you will be acknowledged, Pete.

Date: May 1939
Periodical: Rotarian
Publisher: Rotary International, Chicago, Illinois
Section: What They're Saying
Article: Optimism Versus Pessimism
Author: W. H. H. MacKellar (Honorary Rotarian) Peekskill, New York
Quote Page 53, Column 1
Database: Google Books Full View

[Begin excerpt]
It was optimism that originated the steam
boiler. It blew up. Then pessimism came along
and added the safety valve. Optimism built the
steam engine, and it ran away, until pessimism
invented the governor. Optimism laid down the
railroad, but pessimism made it practicable with
the air brake and the block-signal system. Optimism
designed a ship to sail daringly into the
skies—and fall perhaps at times. So pessimism
designed the parachute.
[End excerpt]

Garson