[Ads-l] Reverse "mistake", v.?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 7 01:24:59 UTC 2021

Right, I’d forgotten that one.  This one is if anything clearer, since at
least Officer Potter *had* both a service weapon and a Taser, even though
as you say it doesn’t make sense in context the way it was written. But in
this one, re “Let’s go, Brandon”,

the phrase that’s gone viral among conservatives since a NASCAR
sportscaster mistook it for a 'Fuck Joe Biden' chant at a race last month

there *was* no phrase “let’s go Brandon” for the sportscaster to mistake
for anything because the phrase didn’t exist before she constructed it.

Anyway, the reverse “mistake” appears to be here to stay, whether or not
it’s a mistake. And language change marches on.

LH

On Nov 6, 2021, at 12:42 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>