[Ads-l] Earliest Citation for "Global Warming"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 25 17:40:01 UTC 2021

If we regard the current first citation in the OED for the term "global warming," and my slight antedating of it, as citations that should be placed in square brackets, the following becomes the earliest known citation:

1953 Anniston (Ala.) Star 22 July 4/1 (Newspapers.com)  Science Writer Leonard Engel, summing up meteorological opinion on this phenomenon in last Sunday's NewYork Times, cited two possible contributing factors to this global warming.

The New York Times article referred to above apparently does not use the words "global warming."

Fred Shapiro