[Ads-l] help wanted: information on a mid-18th C English dictionary

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Fri Oct 1 12:03:25 UTC 2021

Here's a bit more on one of the publishers, from british Museum:
John Fuller
primary name: primary name: Fuller, John
Details
individual; British; Male
Other dates
1775- (fl. c.)
Address
the Bible, Blowbladder Street (also known as Butcher Hall Lane and now King Edward Street) , between Cheapside and Newgate Street, London and at the Bible & Dove in Ave Maria Lane, London
Biography
Three trade cards in Heal Collection (Heal,17.54 and 56) advertise "John Fuller, Bookseller & Stationer at his circulating library...sells all sorts of books wholesale and retail at the lowest prices. Where gentlemen may be supplied with books, pamphlets, news papers, magazines & weekly numbers regularly as soon as published. Money for any library or parcel of books, or waste paper. Books for exportation. Also the greatest variety of paper hangings. Lottery office keeper and broker." Heal,17.55 advertises "John Fuller Bookseller...sells all sorts of Bibles & Common Prayers wholesale and retail. N.B. Books and paper for exportation. Paiste board warehouse."
Stephen

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2021 6:53 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: help wanted: information on a mid-18th C English dictionary

SG pointed out that the British Newspaper Archive contained pertinent
snippets. Here is the information from an advertisement for the
dictionary.

Date: April 27, 1767
Newspaper: The Salisbury Journal
Newspaper Location: Wiltshire, England
Article: (Advertisement for General Dictionary)
Quote Page 4, Column 2
Database: British Newspaper Archive

[Begin excerpt - double check for typos]
On Saturday May 2, will be published.
Elegantly printed in quarto, (Price only 6d) Number I. Of
A GENERAL DICTIONARY
OF the ENGLISH LANGUAGE.

Compiled with the greatest Care from the best Authors and Dicti-
onaries extant,
By a SOCIETY of GENTLEMEN.

In this work the derivation of words will be pointed out; the ac-
cents justly fixed; and their appellations, either at a substantive, ad-
jective, verb, &c. marked by proper initials; barbarous words will
be stigmatized with proper marks, either as obsolete, wanting autho-
rity, or seldom used; the spelling will be carefully attended to; and
the sense of each word explained with clearness, conciseness, and
precision.

London: printed for R. and J. Fuller, in Ave-mary-lane; and sold
by B. Collins, in Salisbury; Mrs. Ann Maynard, Devizes;
S. Gould, at Dorchester; J. Wise, at Newport, Isle of Wight;
J. Stuart, at Bradford; W. Simpson and J. Gale, at Chippenham;
W. Crouch, at Marlborough; T. Baldwin, at Andover; K. Wool-
ridge, at Shaftesbury; P. Davies, at Warminster; J. Whiting, at
Romsey; R. Carr, at Portsmouth; J. Linden, in Southampton; J.
Braffett, in Poole; J. Clench, in Blandford; and W. Tory, at
Winbourn.

CONDITIONS.
I. That this work shall be printed in quarto, on superfine demy
paper, and with an entire new letter.

II. The whole to be comprised in 45 numbers, at 6d. each; and if
it should exceed 50, the overplus to be given gratis.

III. The first number shall be published on May 2, 1767, and the
succeeding numbers regularly every Saturday till the whole is com-
plete.

IV. After the etymological part is finished, it is proposed to give
in the latter numbers an account of the lives the most eminent
men, and a geographical description of the several cities and market
towns in the kingdom, in a manner as full as the nature of the sub-
ject and room allowed will admit.

V. No care or pains shall be wanting to render this book worthy
the attention of the tradesman, the scholar, or the gentleman; as
the explications will be plain and natural, without the affectation of
pedantry or careless remissness; and the printing and the paper neat
and elegant.

Proposals at large may be had of the printer of this paper.
[End excerpt]

Garson