[Ads-l] between a rock and a hard place (1914)

Sat Oct 30 08:51:13 UTC 2021

Here is a different match for the Gov. Harris story. The phrasing is
slightly different. Now the phrase "for and against" makes sense
although it is a bit awkward. This story, and the target phrase, also
appeared in other newspapers.

Please double check details before using any of these citations.

Date: August 13, 1915
Newspaper: The Columbia Record
Newspaper Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Article: They're Fussing Over In Jaw-Jaw
Author: (Special to The Record)
Quote Page 8, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/image/744542533/

[Begin excerpt]
(Special to The Record)
Atlanta, Aug. 13.—Gov. Nat E. Harris must be finding himself today
"between a hard place and a rock" if all the "pressure" that is being
talked about is really being brought to bear on him for and against
the inclusion of prohibition in the extra session call.
[End excerpt]

Below is an instance in Florida in 1915.