[Ads-l] Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2021

Sat Oct 30 12:57:26 UTC 2021

The largest social media company in the world just rebranded itself
while pointing to a future based in virtual reality.

Website: Facebook Company (Now Meta)
Title: Founder’s Letter, 2021
Author: Mark Zuckerberg
Date: October 28, 2021

https://about.fb.com/news/2021/10/founders-letter/

[Begin excerpt]
The next platform will be even more immersive — an embodied internet
where you’re in the experience, not just looking at it. We call this
the metaverse, and it will touch every product we build.
[End excerpt]

Neal Stephenson apparently coined the term "metaverse" meaning virtual
reality/cyberspace. Here is a quotation from his 1992 novel "Snow
Crash". The main character is Hiro Protagonist.

[ref] 1993 (1992 Copyright), Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, Chapter 3,
Quote Page 24, Bantam Books, New York. (Verified with scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
So Hiro's not actually here at all. He's in a computer-generated
universe that his computer is drawing onto his goggles and pumping
into his earphones. In the lingo, this imaginary place is known as the
Metaverse. Hiro spends a lot of time in the Metaverse.
[End excerpt]

Garson O'Toole