[Ads-l] "hooker" meaning "prostitute"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 23 23:53:52 UTC 2021

> both _on_ ‘em

FWIW, this style of construction - the use of _on_, instead of _of_ with
numerics - is/was? the "standard" among black speakers in Marshall, Texas.
Since Marshall was the *only* place that I ever heard this use, until about
a dekkid ago, when I finally had occasion to see this construction in
print, I lived under the impression that black Marshallites were, in fact,
saying "of" and I was, somehow, just mishearing it.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 8:05 AM dave at wilton.net <dave at wilton.net> wrote:

> When you read that citation in its full context, it is clear that
> prostitute is not what is intended. "Hook" and "hooker" are being used in
> multiple senses here: marriage, scratching with one's nails, and Corlear's
> hook.
>
> Wit. – Oh, no, sir: I don’t mean that as anything loose passed between us.
>
> Mag. – I didn’t say there was, but I want to know what you mean by using
> you ill. There are so many methods of using a man ill: for instance, she
> might have promised to marry you, and then declared the match off, Without
> paying you “forfeit”; that would have been using you ill.
>
> Wit. – Oh, no, sir; I never should have thought of hooking on to the likes
> of her, no how; she’s got too many nails on her fingers for me, and they’re
> all of them as hooked as a cat’s claws, and she came very near hooking my
> eye out with ’em, and I got but one eye; ’tother was blowed out by a gun
> barrel bursting; and ven a feller has got but one eye, I don’t call that no
> kind of behavior, no how, to try to hook out both on ‘em, so as to make him
> totumly blind on both sides of his head. That’s what I calls using a feller
> ill.
>
> Mag. – What did you try to hook out his eye for?
>
> Pris. – ’Cause he called me a hooker, and so I thought I might as well
> earn my name as well.
>
> Mag. – What did he call you hooker for?
>
> Wit. – ’Cause she allers hangs round the hook, your honner.

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain