[Ads-l] antedating "yay"

Fri Sep 24 08:26:37 UTC 2021

Interesting topic, Ben. Below is an instance of "Yeah—hooray—hip-hip"
in 1898, and "yeah" appears to be functioning as an alternative
spelling for the exclamation "yay".

The OED lists "yeah" as an adverb with the sense "Yes"; first citation
in 1863. But I didn't see "yeah" as an alternate spelling for "yay".

Date: August 28, 1898
Newspaper: The Sunday State Journal (Nebraska State Journal)
Newspaper Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Article: Arrive While Fight Is On
Quote Page 11, Column 3
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
"Yeah—hooray—hip-hip—4,600 Spaniards—hooray—"
"And 800 Americans—"
"Oooh"—and then in a cry of rage and anger—"To hell with Spain."
"A fleet has sailed from America for Spain"
[End excerpt]

Below is a "Yeah! Hooray!" in 1906 although the date should be double checked.

Year: Copyright 1906 (Juvenile series; date should be double checked)
Book Title: Captain Jack Lorimer: Or, The Young Athletes of Millvale High
Author: Winn Standish (Walter Leon Sawyer)
Chapter 35: Tried by the Test of Defeat
Quote Page 230
Publisher: A. L. Burt Company, New York.

https://books.google.com/books?id=LtcqAAAAYAAJ&q=Yeah#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
"And —  say — you're goin to have a chance, by gum! Say, didn't your
Bussey, the long-legged countryman, score a goal then? Yeah! Hooray!
Hooray for our side!" The old man finished with a roar that made every
one turn smilingly to look.
[End excerpt]

Garson