[Ads-l] Antedating of "Torch Song," "Carry the Torch"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Sep 27 00:33:11 UTC 2021

Thinking about this further, I'm still curious about the word "torch" in both "torch song" and "carry a torch."  Damon Runyon's column, based primarily on a letter from the singer Tommy Lyman, asserts that both terms are based on the word "torch," which in the "Roaring Forties" came to mean the object of one's affections.  Is there any other evidence that "torch" ever had that meaning?  Even if it did, "carry a torch" seems to refer to the frustrated lover, not the object of the lover's affections.  Green's Dictionary of Slang suggests that "the 'light of love' is still burning, even if it is unreciprocated."  I suppose that makes more sense, but it isn't clear what evidence there may be for this analysis.

It turns out to be really hard to search for "carry a torch."  There is a far greater number of literal examples of torch-carrying than I would have supposed.  "Carry a torch" was indeed included in the lyrics of the song that Runyan said Lyman wrote, known as When You Carry the Torch and various other names.  The lyrics include the lines "Ev'ry tear seems to scorch, When you carry the torch And the gang's gone home," according to the website quoted below.  However, I don't know how early the full lyrics can be confirmed, and in any case it seems to be unresolved whether Lyman created both terms, or named "torch song" after an existing phrase.

I suppose that "Roaring Forties" is a mistake for "Roaring Twenties,"  the decade of the 1920s.  "Roaring forties" is the original term, but refers to stormy areas of the ocean between 40 and 50 degrees north latitude.

Here is the discussion of When You Carry the Torch, from the website linked in my previous email, including the lyrics:

"The song is called variously:
The Torch That Didn't Go Out
The Kansas City Torch
The Torch of Kansas City
When You Carry The Torch
and was, allegedly, taught to Turk Murphy by Patsy Patton (cabaret
singer and wife of banjo player Pat Patton. We know him from when he
came to Sydney on the Matson Line ships). The first 'jazz' version was recorded by Turk Murphy for a Columbia LP on 19 Jan. 1953. The notes by George Avakian to that 'Barrelhouse Jazz' LP says that Turk came to it from the Castle Jazz Band (who recorded it later in Aug 1957) via Don Kinch and Bob Short, ex Castle band members).

It was composed (music and lyrics) in 1928 by the great Harry Warren
(we all know him) using the name Harry Herschel and originally
published by Robbins Music Corp.

WHEN YOU CARRY THE TORCH
[Verse]:When the gang has turned you down,
And you wander 'round the town,
Longing for someone in sympathy.
As you go from place to place,
Looking for some friendly face,
You can hear the old town clock strike three;
Then you wish you had your old gal back again.
You're lonesome, oh, so lonesome,
And your poor hear cries in vain:

[Chorus]:
Oh, gee, but it's tough,
When the gang's gone home;
Out on the corner,
You stand alone;
You feel so blue
With nothing to do;
You're cravin' someone's company.
The gang leaves you there
With an old time stall,
While you go home and gaze
At the four bare walls.
Ev'ry tear seems to scorch,
When you carry the torch
And the gang's gone home.

[2nd Verse]:
When you haven't got a friend,
And your worries never end,
When the future doesn't look so bright.
As you sit there in the gloom
Of an empty silent room,
As the hallway clock ticks through the night,
Then you long to hear a knock upon your door.
You're weary, oh, so dreary,
And your poor heart cries once more:

[Chorus]"

John Baker