[Ads-l] FW: "pregnant people"

Charles C Rice charles.rice at LOUISIANA.EDU
Mon Sep 27 17:53:51 UTC 2021

https://twitter.com/verbingnouns/status/1441337006999568391?s=21

I tried to copy the tweet for those who can't access Twitter.

@UniofNewcastle
this is exclusionary wording that alienates your nonbinary and trans staff. I know you've worked really hard to be inclusive, so may I suggest that "people" is such an easy word to use here instead. cc
@rainbowNCL
@EqualityNCLUni
newcastle.sharepoint.com/hub/orghas/Doc

The University post is in a jpeg, which I can't post to the list. The tweeter has highlighted the phrase in bold:

If you are 28 weeks pregnant and beyond, or if you are pregnant and have an underlying condition that puts you at a greater risk of severe illness from COVID-19 at any gestation, you should take a more precautionary approach. This may require working flexibly from home or working in a different capacity. These arrangements should be based on the risk assessment which is required for all pregnant females who have informed their manager/employer. Where adjustments to the work environment and role are not possible and alternative work cannot be found, you should be suspended on paid leave.

Clai Rice

________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU<mailto:laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>>
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2021 7:00 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>>
Subject: Re: "pregnant people"

CAUTION: This email originated from outside of UL Lafayette. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.

> On Sep 23, 2021, at 1:12 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM<mailto:wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>> wrote:
>
> I've heard "pregnant people" on cable news (not, I think, from a
> journalist).
>
> Some writers now replace "men" and "women" with "people," whenever
> possible.
>
> JL

Since the {women/people} doesn't really add much, we could solve this problem by substantivization:  "The pregnant remain at high risk"; "Far too many pregnants remain at high risk...";

The plural version might take a while to catch on...

LH