[Ads-l] Titanic deck chairs precursor?

Fri Apr 22 21:18:52 UTC 2022

Here is a simile in 1952 involving the Titanic, but it does not
involve deck chairs. The simile compares a foolish action to
purchasing a berth on the Titanic. The simile is somewhat opaque
because it uses dual negation.

Date: May 1, 1952
Newspaper: Pottsville Republican
Newspaper Location: Pottsville, Pennsylvania
Article: Henry McLemore
Author: Henry McLemore
Quote Page 18, Column 7 and 8
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Anyone who fails to take advantage of my 1952 Derby selection is as
silly as those who didn't pay under the counter for a berth on the
Titanic.

Honestly, my Derby selection is as sure as fleas on a pup, kisses in a
hammock, and a next President unequal to the job.
[End excerpt]

Garson