[Ads-l] YouTubery

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 3 16:51:43 UTC 2022

> "An idea -------- time has come."

I was taught to use _whose_, back, in the 1940's and I'm sticking with it:
"... an art exhibition _whose_ theme was violence ..."

That there's a problem makes me wonder how TF written/standard/proper
/formal/whatever English is taught, these days.

Some would write:
"... an art exhibition(,) _the theme of which_ was violence ..."

I wouldn't, but I don't find it peeving.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 2:56 PM Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Back around 1983 or '84, I drove even a few graduate students crazy by
> asking them to fill in the blank with a relative pronoun:
>
> "An idea -------- time has come."
>
>  In descending order, the responses were "who's," "whose," "thats,"
> "that's," "which's," "whiches."
>
> Some freshmen couldn't come up with anything.
>
> JL
>

> On Tue, Aug 2, 2022 at 12:32 PM Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > At some point we'll be posting a phenomenon page on "that(')s" on the
> Yale
> > Grammatical Diversity Project web site (ygdp.yale.edu); the draft is
> done
> > but we kind of stopped working on everything over the summer.  Turns out
> > there are a lot of variables for when it's more likely to turn up,
> although
> > from what I remember from the relevant surveys, geography isn't one of
> > them; mostly it has to do with animacy and syntactic frame.
> >
> > LH
> >

> > On Mon, Aug 1, 2022 at 9:15 PM Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > "... an art exhibition _that's_ theme was violence ..."
> > >
> > > --
> > > - Wilson
> > > -----
> > > All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"---a strange complaint to
> > > come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
> > > -Mark Twain

> --

- Wilson
-----