[Ads-l] 2nd try: Query from reporter concerning restaurant term "check"

Thu Aug 4 00:58:47 UTC 2022

The OED has the “restaurant bill” sense of check in 1869 as mentioned
in my previous post and Gerry’s note.

[Begin OED citation excerpt]
1868   A. D. Whitney Patience Strong's Outings 128   I let her settle
for the dinner checks.
[End excerpt]

There is some ambiguity in the above citation. It would be helpful to
explore earlier citations.

Conjecture: The “restaurant bill” sense of check evolved from the
“dinner check” sense explored below.

It appears that a “dinner check” referred to a voucher or ticket that
enabled the bearer to obtain a meal. Here is a pertinent citation in
1847.

Date: March 1, 1847
Volume 6, Number 5
Periodical: The Freemason's Monthly Magazine
Periodical Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Quote Page 136

https://books.google.com/books?id=9_sqAAAAYAAJ&q=%22dinner+check%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
That a member of the Order dining without an invitation, must pay £3
for a dinner check previous to his admission.
[End excerpt]

In the following 1856 citation the “check” was for a beer accompanying a meal.