[Ads-l] Quip: Whoever named it necking was a poor judge of anatomy

Sat Aug 6 15:12:41 UTC 2022

Bill Mullins wrote:
> Similarly inspired:
> Asbury Park [NJ] Evening Press 07 June 1935: p. 8.
>
> "The burglar who stuck his revolver in the pit of his victim's stomach and
> told him to hold up his hands or he would blow out his brains is a poor
> student of anatomy. – GRAND ISLAND (Neb.) INDEPENDENT."

Thanks for the excellent citation you posted on July 29, Bill. You
found a precursor joke in 1935. Following your lead, I located an
earlier instance in 1931.

[ref] 1931 May 2, The Grand Island Daily Independent, Today’s
Quotation, Quote Page 6, Column 1, Grand Island, Nebraska.
(Newspapers_com) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
The highwayman who stuck a revolver in the pit of a man’s stomach and
said: “Hold up your hands or I’ll blow out your brains,” was a poor
student of anatomy.
[End excerpt]

The Quote Investigator article has now been updated and your help has
been acknowledged. Changes should be visible within 48 hours.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2022/07/28/necking/

Garson