[Ads-l] Check/bill

Tue Aug 9 18:30:45 UTC 2022

Peter Reitan wrote:
> More on the details of using a check to order a la carte, as opposed to the traditional table d'hote format.
>
> https://www.newspapers.com/clip/107241838/courier-post/

Thanks for sharing a fascinating citation, Peter. Interestingly, the
citation shows that the system of using checks did not prevent
deception; instead, the system facilitated deception in this case.

My earlier message contained citations showing that “dinner check(s)”
was used in 1847 and 1857. Here is a fun citation in 1869. The
“American Journal of Numismatics” published a comical piece about an
auction of items from “worthless collections”. One of the items being
auctioned was a “dinner check”.

Date: May 1869
Periodical: American Journal of Numismatics
Volume 4, Number 1
Periodical Location: New York
Quote Page 7

https://books.google.com/books?id=1D89AQAAMAAJ&q=%22dinner+check%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
SUPPLEMENTARY CATALOGUE OF A
COLLECTION OF COINS AND MEDALS,
Gathered from half a dozen worthless Collections,
NOW THE PROPERTY OF GOINTOEM STRONG, Esq
TO BE SOLD THIS DAY

Smoked glass will be provided for those who wish to examine the coins

1—ENGLISH PENNY, very plain. The inscription, like England's honor is
nearly obliterated.

2—KOSSUTH MEDALET, around a hole. Bust facing left, and wearing an
expression a la Mose, when he said, "Why don't yer come along"?

3—Kendall's Dinner Check. Very good. Probably purloined by some chap
who "stepped out" without paying for his fish balls.
[End excerpt]

Garson