[Ads-l] Antedating of "Pinch Hitter"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 10 00:05:22 UTC 2022

"Breit" was a common nickname for Theodore Breitenstein (it's in his
Wikipedia bio). Klondike Douglass (who of course already had a nickname)
doesn't show up as "Doug" from what I can see, so I'm guessing the St.
Louis Post-Dispatch writer was just being playful, extending the
"Breit"-esque nickname formation.