[Ads-l] Antedatings of "screwball"

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Fri Aug 12 13:21:49 UTC 2022

Here's a cite from November 1845 used in a sporting context.

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Knickerbocker/eG41AQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=screwball&pg=PA427&printsec=frontcover

The motion very much resembles that of one who , in playing  'base,'
screws
his ball , as the expression is among boys ; or of a man rolling what is
known
among the players of ten pins as a screw - ball ;