[Ads-l] Quote: Art is anything you can get away with. - Marshall McLuhan (1967)

Fri Aug 12 20:47:30 UTC 2022

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> Isn't the Statue of Liberty art??

I think Marshall McLuhan would say that Liberty Enlightening the World
is art because "art is anything you can get away with", and Frédéric
Auguste Bartholdi got away with it in grand style.

A picture of Niki de Saint Phalle’s giant sculpture is available here:
https://thewomensstudio.net/2018/04/30/niki-de-saint-phalle/
According to this webpage the artwork is titled "She - a Cathedral".

The pertinent pages from the "Medium is the Massage" are available on
this webpage:
https://screeninculture.wordpress.com/2015/03/29/probing-probes/

Scroll down. There is a page that displays the quotation "It is the
business of the future to be dangerous". The following three
double-page spreads display McLuhan's quotation. The order is
scrambled: C, A, B. The picture of the sculpture is a mirror-image of
the picture at thewomensstudio.net.

Garson