[Ads-l] "a regular Bulgarian army" (1917)

Ben Yagoda byagoda at UDEL.EDU
Sat Aug 20 14:21:53 UTC 2022

The thing that strikes me about the sentence is the word “regular,” which I wrote about here: https://web.archive.org/web/20181113231301/https:/www.chronicle.com/blogs/linguafranca/2018/11/13/in-which-i-make-like-a-regular-william-safire/

The OED defines this sense of “regular” as "As an intensifier: complete, absolute, utter, veritable.” In my view this is a bit inadequate. Complete, absolute, etc. are okay but “regular” serves not so much as an intensifier as a simile-maker. And, at least in modern times, it’s usually ironic or humorous. So you could call someone “a regular Einstein” if they solved a couple of simple arithmetic problems, but hadn’t shown much genius beyond that. (All the better if they put on airs.)

“A regular [proper name]” was in circulation well before 1917. The novel Transmigration (1874) by Mortimer Collins (1874) has the line of dialogue, “You’re a regular Romeo.” And an article in an 1858 edition of Young Men’s Magazine has “… each one voting himself a regular Napoleon.”

Ben