[Ads-l] "a regular Bulgarian army" (1917)

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 20 22:02:28 UTC 2022

It’s difficult to ascertain which sense of “regular” was used here, but there was a “regular Bulgarian Army” of professional soldiers, as well as other irregular, militia volunteer units.

Many years before the usage in question, there was a widely reported human interest news story about a volunteer local militia from a small Jewish village in Bulgaria that reportedly won accolades for fighting as well as the regular Bulgarian Army.

In the aftermath of WWI (several years after the usage in question), the Allies arranged to have the regular Bulgarian Army dismantled for the good of Europe, and replace it with a voluntary force with seven year contracts.

The regular Bulgarian Army was apparently deemed too professional, militaristic or dangerous to permit to continue in existence.  The usage at issue here seems to imply that the regular Bulgarian Army are ringers or more professional or skilled, and that the local athletes would never be noticed, perhaps in reference to the perceived or reputed fighting prowess of the professional Bulgarian Army.

From: Ben Yagoda<mailto:byagoda at UDEL.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, August 20, 2022 7:22 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: "a regular Bulgarian army" (1917)

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Ben Yagoda <byagoda at UDEL.EDU>

The thing that strikes me about the sentence is the word =E2=80=9Cregular,=
=E2=80=9D which I wrote about here: =
https://web.archive.org/web/20181113231301/https:/www.chronicle.com/blogs/=
linguafranca/2018/11/13/in-which-i-make-like-a-regular-william-safire/

The OED defines this sense of =E2=80=9Cregular=E2=80=9D as "As an =
intensifier: complete, absolute, utter, veritable.=E2=80=9D In my view =
this is a bit inadequate. Complete, absolute, etc. are okay but =
=E2=80=9Cregular=E2=80=9D serves not so much as an intensifier as a =
simile-maker. And, at least in modern times, it=E2=80=99s usually ironic =
or humorous. So you could call someone =E2=80=9Ca regular Einstein=E2=80=9D=
 if they solved a couple of simple arithmetic problems, but hadn=E2=80=99t=
 shown much genius beyond that. (All the better if they put on airs.)

=E2=80=9CA regular [proper name]=E2=80=9D was in circulation well before =
1917. The novel Transmigration (1874) by Mortimer Collins (1874) has the =
line of dialogue, =E2=80=9CYou=E2=80=99re a regular Romeo.=E2=80=9D And =
an article in an 1858 edition of Young Men=E2=80=99s Magazine has =E2=80=9C=
=E2=80=A6 each one voting himself a regular Napoleon.=E2=80=9D

Ben

>=20
>=20
> Date:    Fri, 19 Aug 2022 15:58:18 -0700
> From:    Nancy Friedman <wordworking at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: "a regular Bulgarian army" (1917)
>=20
> The volunteer archivist at the bay swimming and boating club I belong =
> has a question about a phrase she came across in a July 1917 club =
document:
>=20
> =E2=80=9COur athletes will be lost in the shuffle among a regular =
Bulgarian army of