[Ads-l] crudit=?utf-8?Q?=C3=A9s_?=(1940)

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 01:36:43 UTC 2022

I asked friends and family the other day about this word. None of them knew it, so neither Oz’s circle of friends nor news stories about him seem to be intersecting with me by at least two degrees.

I seem to be out of Martha Stewart’s loop as well, and fruit crudité (whether in French https://alimentation.ooreka.fr/qr/voir/675887/quelles-sont-les-crudites <https://alimentation.ooreka.fr/qr/voir/675887/quelles-sont-les-crudites> or English https://www.forkintheroad.co/summer-crudite-platter/ <https://www.forkintheroad.co/summer-crudite-platter/>) is also a thing outside of the mundane bubble occupied by myself and lexicographers.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/crudites <https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/crudites>
Assorted raw vegetables served as an hors d'oeuvre, typically with a sauce into which they may be dipped.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crudit%C3%A9s <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crudit%C3%A9s>
pieces of raw vegetables (such as celery or carrot sticks) served as an hors d'oeuvre often with a dip

Well, Wiktionary has the fruit:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crudit%C3%A9s#English <https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crudit%C3%A9#English>
Raw vegetables often served as an appetizer before a main dish; sometimes including fruits.

And at least I have charcuterie to keep me company even if nobody I know actually says the word.

Benjamin Barrett (he/his/him)
Formerly of Seattle, WA