[Ads-l] Reader's Digest available in Internet Archive; also Quotation: Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. (dubiously attributed to Oscar Wilde in 1954)

Mon Aug 29 16:22:47 UTC 2022

The Internet Archive now has many issues of Reader’s Digest available.
I do not know when these issues were added to their database.

Happily, I found a citation that had previously eluded me. There is a
column by Walter Winchell dated May 27, 1954 in which he printed the
quotation in the subject line while acknowledging “Reader’s Digest”
(RD).

Now, I have found the quotation in the June 1954 issue of RD. Winchell
was able to see it in RD because this issue was available in late May
1954.

[ref] June 1954, Reader’s Digest, Volume 64, Number 386, (Filler
item), Quote Page 134, The Reader’s Digest Association, Pleasantville,
New York. (Verified with scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.
— Oscar Wilde
[End excerpt]

The Quote Investigator article has been updated and changes should be
visible within 48 hours.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2021/06/11/annoy/

Garson