[Ads-l] "heat" = fastball (1967)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 31 21:27:18 UTC 2022

Here it is in 1966, attributed to George Scott, then a rookie third baseman
with the Red Sox.

---
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/108694576/george-scott-heat/
New York Daily News, June 5, 1966, p. 30, col. 3
When asked what kind of a pitch he hit, Scotty laughed: "He tried to put
some heat by me." That heat is a Scottism for fast ball.
---