[Ads-l] Further Appeal for Notable Quotations of 2022

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 1 23:39:12 UTC 2022

People who can be led to believe anything about anything will eventually
believe anything about Jews.
– Brett Stephens
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/29/opinion/trump-kanye-antisemitism.html

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 2:52 PM ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Website: NPR.org
> Article: Iran's protesters find inspiration in a Kurdish revolutionary
> slogan
> Timestamp: October 27, 2022  11:32 AM ET
>
> https://www.npr.org/2022/10/27/1131436766/kurdish-roots-iran-protest-slogan
>
> [Begin excerpt]
> One resounding slogan has become the movement's rallying cry: "Jin,
> jiyan, azadi!" — or "Woman, life, freedom!"
> [End excerpt]
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 2:40 PM ADSGarson O'Toole
> <adsgarsonotoole at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Fred stated that he would consider memes.
> > Here is a meme reflecting current protests in China.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxYUrxVjCTXSkyTgEZao3yotVFFd0rBIOR
> >
> > [Begin caption]
> > This is the most sensitive photo in China now
> > [End caption]
> >
> > The image shows Winnie the Pooh looking uncomprehendingly at a blank
> > piece of paper.
> > Winnie the Pooh is a comical reference to Xi Jinping
> > A blank sheet is often held by protestors to highlight censorship.
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 9:18 PM Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at yale.edu>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > We now move past the "preliminary" appeal for suggestions of
> candidates for my annual list of the 10 most notable quotations of the
> year, disseminated by the Associated Press.  The time is drawing near when
> I have to produce a final list.  The criteria are quotations that are
> famous, or important, or particularly revealing of the spirit of our
> times.  Invariably many of the quotes are political in nature, but I do
> very much want some nonpolitical quotes from fields such as popular
> culture, sports, business, science, etc.  I also would like to have some
> foolish quotes from Democratic politicians to give the list some balance.
> > >
> > > Note that quotations from December 2021 may be eligible.  Internet
> memes can be considered if they are very popular.
> > >
> > > Fred Shapiro

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain