[Ads-l] Antedating of "First Lady" (OED Sense 2)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 2 00:02:38 UTC 2022

I think there's a significant difference in nuance between 1861 "our first
lady" as the "pre-eminent woman of the land" and the current "first lady,"
fully lexicalized as "the wife of the president."

JL