[Ads-l] "hauling the wool over their eyes, " -- 5-year antedating

Sat Dec 3 01:56:50 UTC 2022

Excellent topic and citation, GAT.
Here is an instance of “pull the wool over the peoples eyes” in 1828.
(The text used "peoples" instead of "people's".)

Date: September 12, 1828
Newspaper: Delaware Journal
Newspaper Location: Wilmington, Delaware
Article: Dialogue: Scene—A Senator's Office
Quote Page 3, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com
https://www.newspapers.com/image/616669874/

[Begin excerpt]
Attor Gen.—I hope we shall be able to prevail upon my dear friend Mr
M.L. to go down, Sir, I have no doubt of extensive benefit from his
visit—he can pull the wool over the peoples eyes better than any man I
know.
[End excerpt]

Garson