[Ads-l] Antedating of "First Lady" (OED Sense 2)

Sat Dec 3 03:16:13 UTC 2022

1861 does seem like an early date, but the Encyclopaedia Britannica
entry suggests that Long Branch was a summer coastal resort before
1861.

Website: Encyclopaedia Britannica
Topic: Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
https://www.britannica.com/place/Long-Branch-New-Jersey

[Begin excerpt]
Long Branch, city, Monmouth county, eastern New Jersey, U.S. It lies
along the Atlantic Ocean, 50 miles (80 km) south of New York City.
Settled in 1668 on land purchased from the Delaware Indians, it was
named for its location on the Long Branch of the South Shrewsbury
River. Its development as a summer coastal resort began in the 1780s.
By the 1830s gambling and horse racing brought an influx of visitors
into Long Branch. During the Gilded Age (1870s and ’80s) it was
frequented by many notables, including Lillie Langtry, Lillian
Russell, and “Diamond Jim” Brady. It became the summer capital of U.S.
Presidents Ulysses S. Grant, James A. Garfield, and Woodrow Wilson.
[End excerpt]

Wikipedia has a wood cut illustration by Winslow Homer of a social
scene at Long Beach in 1869.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Brooklyn_Museum_-_The_Beach_at_Long_Branch_-_Winslow_Homer_-_overall.jpg