[Ads-l] Pronunciation of "(anti)semitic"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 3 16:03:26 UTC 2022

On sympathetic analogical reformations:

Arnold’s blogpost mentions that Ben suggested that the prior existence of -etic adjectives might be influencing the shift to “anti-semetic", presumably in the way that (as we’ve discussed ages ago on the list) the much-maligned “nucular” pronunciation of “nuclear” (as in the title of Geoff Nunberg’s book _Going Nucular_) was/is partly a product of a set of -Vcular adjectives like “jocular”, “(bin)ocular”, “spectacular”, “particular”, “vehicular”, “secular”, etc. etc.,  and the virtual non-existence of -Vclear ones other than “cochlear” and “nuclear” itself.  So what would the -etic influencers be? I’m thinking “diabetic” might be a role. Or perhaps (although it doesn’t allude to a disorder) “athletic” or “sympathetic". Or, dare I suggest, “phonetic". Others (“ascetic”, “copacetic”) are probably too rare or abstruse to play a role.  Here’s a list of rhymes:

https://tinyurl.com/bdft32w2 <https://tinyurl.com/bdft32w2>

Of course “(anti-)semitic” does rhyme with “clitic”.  And (at least in the US) with “Hasidic”,

LH