[Ads-l] new to me: "goblin mode"

Wed Dec 7 03:00:14 UTC 2022

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> I must object, however, that in my understanding goblins are
> primarily disconcerting and dangerous (as in Rossetti's "Goblin
> Market" and Riley's "Little Orphant Annie").

> Even OED calls them "mischievous" and "ugly," not "self-indulgent, lazy,
> slovenly, or geedy."  MW adds "sometimes evil and malicious."

Many of the younger generation know about goblins via the Japanese
light novel, manga, audio drama, and anime television series “Goblin
Slayer”.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goblin_Slayer

The goblins are depicted extremely negatively. The primary goal of the
main character, Goblin Slayer, is to exterminate all goblins.