[Ads-l] "severity"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Dec 10 01:18:11 UTC 2022

Well, maybe, but I'm not sure.  Severe/severity is an instance of
trisyllabic laxing; cf. "vain"/"vanity", "insane"/"insanity",
"verbose"/"verbosity", "brief"/"brevity".  But we don't have trisyllabic
laxing here, since the tense "(Anti-)Semite" would have
the trisyllabically-laxed counterpart "(Anti-)Se-MIT-ity" and not
"Se-MET-ity", if either of those words actually existed, and the actual
adjective "Semitic" doesn't present the right environment for
trisyllabic laxing anyway.