[Ads-l] Antedating of "Bill of Rights" (OED Sense 2.b.)

Stephen Goranson goranson at DUKE.EDU
Tue Dec 13 18:04:23 UTC 2022

This is confirmed at hathitrust.org with Col. added to the book title, The Trial of Col. Aaron Burr....
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433082308671&view=1up&seq=55

SG
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Shapiro, Fred <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 12:47 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Antedating of "Bill of Rights" (OED Sense 2.b.)

Bill of Rights (OED, 2.b., 1819)

According to Gerard N. Magliocca, The Heart of the Constitution (2018), "During Aaron Burr's treason trial in 1807, his attorney Edmund Randolph ... described the Sixth Amendment right of a criminal defendant to be confronted with any adverse witnesses as part of 'the Bill of Rights.'"  Magliocca's footnote cites to T. Carpenter, ed., The Trial of Aaron Burr on an Indictment for Treason (Washington, DC: Westcott, 1808), I:49.  I have not verified the Carpenter source.

Fred Shapiro