[Ads-l] BAG/BEG merger/shift? Linguistics in the comics

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Dec 14 16:27:09 UTC 2022

A phonologist would be helpful here; we have a few on call. But if "bag" is
raised, as seems to be the case, it could be raising to the standard (cough
cough) pronunciation of "beg", /E/, or to that of the tensed "bague" (as in
"vague"), /e/. In neither case is it necessarily a merger, if the vowel
position /ae/ raises to itself raises or otherwise moves--think New Zealand
English, where there's a wholesale shift of front lax vowels.  Anyone?

LH