[Ads-l] Antedating of "Ventriloquism"

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Sat Dec 17 17:24:45 UTC 2022

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Monthly_Review/b0M3AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=Ventriloquism&pg=PA512&printsec=frontcover

Le  Ventriloque , &c.  The  Ventriloquift.  By  M. De La
Chapelle, Censor Royal at Paris, Member of the Academies
at Lyons and Rouen, and F.R.S. In two Parts, 12mo. London,
De'l'Etan-ville. Paris, Duchesne. 1772

Ventriloquism , if we may be allowed to use the term , in order
to avoid circumlocution , is a peculiar gift, art, or quality, of
which certain persons are and have been poffefred, by means of
which they have been enabled to modify the voice in such a
manner, as to make it appear to those present tº proceed from
the belly of the speakers ; ( from which circumstance it derives
its appellation ) or rather to make it seem to proceed from any
distance, or in any direction whatever.