[Ads-l] "Evil Empire" in Bartlett's Quotations

Pete Morris mr_peter_morris at OUTLOOK.COM
Tue Dec 27 16:40:02 UTC 2022

Isn't "Evil Empire" a Reaganism, frequently said during the
1980's?  I think it was popularized by Reagan's use, if not
actually coined by him. And Regan also promoted "Star Wars",
a proposed space laser that would shoot down incoming missiles.

So 1980's political discussions would frequently include "Star Wars"
and "Evil  Empire" in the same sentence.  Maybe that's where the
confusion comes from.

Example:
https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Convention_Proceedings/T15ZAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&bsq=%22evil+empire%22+%22star+wars%22&dq=%22evil+empire%22+%22star+wars%22&printsec=frontcover