[Ads-l] Antedating of "Law School"

James Eric Lawson jel at NVENTURE.COM
Thu Dec 29 05:18:11 UTC 2022

The OEDO definition of 'law' and hence the compound 'law-school' needs
no revision to accommodate 17th century "law school" attestations. For
example, Fred's 1665 antedating citation should be taken to refer the
"meet" to one or another of the locations associated with the Inns of
Court and the Inns of Chancery. Which location would have been known to
the listed participants.

<excerpt>The purpose of this unpretentious volume is to furnish to the
legal profession in the United States and Canada a clear but concise
history and description of those ancient and honourable schools of law
in England which for the past six centuries have been known as Inns of
Court and Chancery.

<source>The Inns of court: An historical description of the Inns of
court and chancery of England <date>1909 <publisher>Paul Musson

<url>
https://archive.org/details/cu31924021676931/page/n9/mode/2up

Also see, e.g.,

<excerpt>The four Inns of Court—The Inner
Temple, The Middle Temple, Lincoln’s Inn and Gray’s Inn—constitute
a legal university, and so to speak, compose its four colleges.

<url>
https://archive.org/details/storyofinnsofcou00bart/page/n15/mode/2up

<excerpt>Fortescue makes mention of ten or more inferior Inns, which
were called “Inns of Chancery.” These societies served as preparatory
colleges for the Inns of Court, to each of which two or more Inns of
Chancery were attached, like Maids of Honour to a Princess. The Inns of
Court used to send Readers accompanied by “Outer” barristers to instruct
the students in these Inns of Chancery, to discuss cases and legal
points with them, and to preside over their Moots. The most promising
students of an Inn of Chancery were, term by term, transferred to the
parent Inn of Court. <page>9

<excerpt>Education has always been the principal care of the Benchers of
the four Inns of Court. The method of conducting it has undergone many
changes. There was a time when the following was the system under which
the lawyers and judges of a former day were trained and prepared for the
active work of their profession. A striking point of difference from our
present system was the comparative length of the curriculum. A student
began by entering an Inn of Chancery. <page>11-12

--
James Eric Lawson