[Ads-l] "sugar dating", "compensated dating", "arrangement"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 14 19:15:59 UTC 2022

"Compensating" being the key word. The urban dictionary (s.v. "sugar
dating") lemma from 2009 isn't wrong, although as usual in desperate need
of an editor:

==========
A discrete place where men "Sugar Daddies
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sugar%20Daddies>" and
Ladies "Sugar Babies" go to meet for mutually beneficial
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mutually%20beneficial>
relationships. The website allows a discrete and safe way for people to
exchange their contact details for a small price. This could include an
exchange of money, services to include the occasional fancy dinner
<https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fancy%20dinner>, or
quickie.
=========

What was new to me is a use I've noticed of "sugar" as a verb, as in "I've
sugared".  It's tricky, because most hits for this verb refer to a process
of hair removal, apparently a less painful counterpart of waxing (cf. e.g.
https://www.sugarsugarwax.com/ on sugaring at home).  But the relevant
meaning in the context was not "I've removed unwanted hair from my own or
others' sensitive areas" but rather "I've engaged in compensated sexual
relationships", i.e. pay for play as in Nancy's 2014 blogpost. I imagine
between these two 21st century innovations those who work in the maple or
cane sugar industries need to be more specific in their job descriptions
anymore.

LH