[Ads-l] Allan Metcalf

Bill Kretzschmar kretzsch at UGA.EDU
Fri Feb 25 15:02:41 UTC 2022

I too was so sad to hear about Allan. Unlike many of you, I did not know Allan personally for very long, but what an impression he made on me. His kindness, generosity, and patience while I tried to take on the impossible task of filling his shoes in the American Dialect Society were unforgettable. I will also always remember his dry, but never hurtful, wit. As I tailed him to various meetings, I came to know what a beloved man he was by everyone who knew him, and it certainly seemed that everyone knew him! In his memory, I will surely spend some time today with the many, many files of ADS history and lore I now have, thanks to Allan. May he Rest In Peace.

Julie Roberts