[Ads-l] ain't

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 4 17:49:20 UTC 2022

See e.g. sense 3 in the DARE entry for "ain't."

---
https://www.daredictionary.com/view/dare/ID_00000433
3 Do not, does not, did not.
among Black speakers
1894 Stuart in 1941 Warfel-Orians Local-Color Stories 742 AR, I ain't keer
who play de music.
1899 Edwards Defense 115 GA, “Do you think so, Isam?” A shadow fell upon
her face. “Ain' I know hit?” [Isam replied].
1922 Gonzales Black Border 139 sSC, GA coasts [Gullah], Ent you know suh
'ooman lub uh freehan' man?
Ibid 261, Ent you know dat dey ent uh Chryce' hom'ny een de house fuh eat?
1927 Kennedy Gritny 87 sLA [Black], Ain't you know Felo bin stay'n wid me .
. ?
1930 DN 6.79 cSC, “I ain' know.” Negroism.
1966 DARE Tape
SC10Listen, I ain't feel so good.
1976 Wolfram-Christian Appalachian Speech 114, In some varieties, such as
Vernacular Black English, a third correspondence developed-the use of
_ain't_ for _didn't_, so that we have constructions such as _He ain't go to
the store_ in this variety.
---