[Ads-l] Porsche

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 12 22:32:47 UTC 2022

Way back in 2005, we had a thread about [veys] vs. [vaz] alternating by
price, size, quality, etc., which Labov mentioned as a distinction made by
one of his informants in _Sociolinguistic Patterns_, p. 251 (fn. 42).

https://books.google.com/books?id=hD0PNMu8CfQC&pg=PA251

The upshot of the thread was that it all started as a joke, with roots in
an 1889 poem by James Jeffrey Roche, "The V-A-S-E."

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-March/047269.html
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-March/047266.html
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-March/047247.html

Whether Labov's informant was putting him on, I cannot say.

--bgz