[Ads-l] "great of guy"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 13 16:41:55 UTC 2022

One hypothesis: it's real (not a typo) but the "of" is a
hypercorrection/reanalysis of "a". So the speakers/writers (and presumed
NYT editor in the case of the wedding piece) are hearing "how great a
guy"/"what a great a guy" and reanalyzing the "a" as a reduced form of
"of", much as (I assume) "should of" arose from a reanalysis of reduced
"should /@/" < "should have".  Still, I'm forced to concede that this story
works better for the "how great of guy" in the last two (Googled) examples
than the "what a great of guy" one.  (And thanks for the links to Arnold's
"+of EDM" analyses!)

LH